Re: pppoeconf / Verizon DSL

Mark Neidorff wrote:
On Thursday 17 January 2008 08:51 pm, Larry wrote:
I've been using Debian with dial-up for about 8 years and it's getting
pretty slow, so I thought I would try DSL.  The problem is I have
absolutely no understanding of how DSL works.  If I could get a
connection I don't even understand how the browsers, etc. know how to
use it.  And this is after reading the docs, searching Google and the
Debian list, etc.  Is there a good step by step guide somewhere?

When I run pppoeconf I get: "the Access Concentrator of your provider
did not respond."  I have also tried pppoe-setup.  At this point, I
really wonder if the modem is even connected to the computer.  Is
there a way to check it?

I have no idea what to do next, so any help would be greatly
appreciated.

The following is what I have so far and I know I'm not even close
because Apache, FTP, and Dict no longer work.

Westell 6100 modem   DSL2+Router

I have added my password information to chap-secrets
and pap-secrets.

Another package you might want to consider is:

http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/pppoe

I used to use that with Verizon. Your biggest consideration is your Westel router....can it do the authentication for you...and can it act as a DHCP server? If it can do those things, then you don't need anything else.

Mark
I believe that is the same router that I used when I had Verizon DSL. If so, it does act as a DHCP server. I set my box to connect with DHCP, connected and turned on the router, then my computer. Everything worked perfectly. I am now using Verizon FIOS with the identical setup on my box. I didn't have to change anything since I still connect by DHCP.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com