Re: Where do you put your swap partition?

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 02:18:50PM -0800, tofu.oni@gmail.com wrote:
> Just kidding.  My actual question is, should I put any thought into
> where on the disk I place the swap partition?  At the beginning of the
> disk?  At the end?  I thought it might be best to have it at the
> beginning, immediately followed by root, and with other partitions
> after that.  My thinking was that most reads and writes would occur in
> root - and probably near the start of the root partition.  So having
> the swap partition close by would reduce seek time by a couple of pico
> seconds - which should translate to thousands of nanocents per year.

If you're concerned about that, then the beginning or end of the disk
would be the worst places for minimizing average seek time.  Which is
why I put mine as close to the center of the disk as possible, flanked
by /var on one side and /home on the other, since they're where the most
writes tend to occur.

--
I reckon we are now the only monastry ever that had a dungeon stuffed with
sixteen thousand zombies.