Re: Where do you put your swap partition?

Quoth tofu.oni@gmail.com:
> I like to put mine on a disk.
>
> Just kidding.

Why? Putting your swap somewhere else is actually quite useful. If you have a
one of those new solid state & conventional disk laptop hybrids (the Samsung R70
comes to my mind) then putting swap on the solid state disk might really be
great. Or the root system, because of the limited amount of writes that are
allowed? Dunno., whish I'd have one to play with.

> My actual question is, should I put any thought into
> where on the disk I place the swap partition?  At the beginning of the
> disk?  At the end?  I thought it might be best to have it at the
> beginning, immediately followed by root, and with other partitions
> after that.  My thinking was that most reads and writes would occur in
> root - and probably near the start of the root partition.  So having
> the swap partition close by would reduce seek time by a couple of pico
> seconds - which should translate to thousands of nanocents per year.
>
> What do you guys think?

I don't think it would make too much a difference on modern HDs. Most read-write
will occur in user's home directories anyways - loading binaries and libes
alright, but the data and config files come from the home-dir. It's a
BSD-convention to put swap on the second partition of your boot-drive. But
nowadays I guess it just lacks motivation.

So, mine is on the second partition because I'm a traditionalist, but other than
that... does it matter?

Aleks