Re: Question about sending local email to gmail

>    For months, using gmail as the SMTP relay has worked. Recently,
>    however, it has been failing. A review of /var/log/exim4/mainlog
>    suggests that the email is no longer allowed to be sent directly to
>    gmail mail servers.

Actually, if you send mail to an @gmail.com account, *your* server is (sort of)
"smtp relay", so should accept mail for your @gmail.com account unless it
trigger some kind of Access Control List, probably a RBL against your IP
or a failed sender verification (expecially if your sever sends as
root@localhost ;) )

>    My ISP is Verizon. So, I decided to try using Verizon as an SMTP host
>    (outgoing.verizon.net ). Currently, it appears to be working (with the
>    but I'd really like to understand why it works. Or rather, I'd like to
>    understand what the proper way to get local email sent to gmail.

If with Verizon's SMTP works, to me is just a sign that gmail simply
blocks your ip.

BTW... I would be very surprised if gmail relayed mail w/o auth in the past!

Cheers

--
Daniele Santi        .o.
MrShunz@gmail.com    ..o    |,,,/_