Re: Question about sending local email to gmail

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 05:47:20PM +0100, Mr Shunz wrote:

> If with Verizon's SMTP works, to me is just a sign that gmail simply
> blocks your ip.

This is highly likely if you're trying to run a mail server from
within a dynamic ip block. And more and more big providers are doing
this because of all the stupid bots out there.

If you are using dsl, you might look into finding a local provider who
resells dsl. It's what I do. For $60 a year above the cost of my dsl
line lease, I get fixed ip in a static non-qwest block. I get my own
ip for pretty cheap, couple it with dyndns and you're good to go.

And I don't have to mess with nasty TOS agreements and so forth. My
TOS agreement with my provider (very small, one man shop) consisted of
a phone call wherein he said "I don't care what you do with your line
so long as it's legal."  Can't beat that.

It's worth the effort to find a local guy willing to do this.