Re: Etch install with RAID 5

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 10:48:25PM -0500, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:55:41PM -0500, Patrick Zaloum wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>> I am planning on installing a new Etch server. What I would like is to
>>> use 3xSATA2 disks to create a RAID5 array. During the install I know I

>> Much better
>> in my opinion to go straight software raid and leave the hardware out
>> of it. If the mobo dies you can drag the disks over to another mobo
>> with potentially different chipsets and it should more or less just
>> work. With hardware raid, or some mysterious amalgam, you may be
>> stuck.
>
> I agree with Andrew.  Keep it simple.  If I/O is not critical use software
> raid for "portability" in the event of hardware failure.  IF and only IF
> I/O is an issue then invest in a real hardware raid controller from a well
> known vendor.

My very vague understanding is that s/w raid is pretty close
performance wise to hardware raid at this point so that performance
gain might not offset the portability (and maybe other) features of
software raid.

But definitely, getting h/w raid, go for reputation and reliability
over economy and buy two of them.

more .02