Etch install with RAID 5

Hello!
I am planning on installing a new Etch server. What I would like is to
use 3xSATA2 disks to create a RAID5 array. During the install I know I
can create md RAID devices from the partition tables I set up
identically on the 3 disks, but is there a more attractive way to set
up the array so that the system is fully RAID5 instead of 6 or 7 RAID5
devices over 3 SATA disks?

I investigated using motherboards with onboard "software" RAID
chipsets, but am worried about compatibility issues. Googling gave me
the dmraid package that should be compatible with the "Intel(R) Matrix
Storage Technology".. (ICH8R) but I don't know if I can use this
"pre-install" so that it works almost as a true hardware RAID.

Could anyone give me some pointers or shed some light on these issues?

Thanks,
Pat