Re: package list for CLI-only admin/service install

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:45:11AM -0800, SpamHog wrote:
> I've been looking for a Custom Debian Distributions or package list or
> metapackage which would pull in plenty of CLI-only admin - rescue -
> network - security tools, a few key servers (file, ssh,, and little
> more),  basic clients for communicating (http, irc, etc etc) many
> drivers, but no X.

> Does anybody keep such a "pure Debian CLI tools"
> metapackage or package list or CDD
> with such a selction of apps?

When I install, I do a minimal install (don't select any tasks, not even
"standard"), then set up aptitude.  For my spare box (used both for
accessing the main box, but also as a reference box in case the main box
goes down), I install a fair bit.  I generally include X in case there
are any pdf docs I need or if I need a graphical browser.  For that
purpose, I include links2.  Since I may want to print out more than
plain-text, I include apsfilter and gs-gpl in addition to lpr.  I
include the docs for most things.  I didn't include the tar doc package
since mc will handle it natively.

I don't create a metapackage.  It doesn't take me long to go down my
usual list and select what I need.

I hope this helps.

Doug.

Here's the list but I'll remove the X
stuff from it.  FYI, the list is created with
# aptitude search '~i!~M' (installed not automatically)

i   adduser                         - Add and remove users and groups
i   anacron                         - cron-like program that doesn't go by time
i   apsfilter                       - Magic print filter with automatic file typ
i   apt-doc                         - Documentation for APT
i   apt-howto-en                    - example-based guide to APT (English)
i   apt-utils                       - APT utility programs
i   aptitude                        - terminal-based apt frontend
i   aptitude-doc-en                 - English manual for aptitude, a terminal-ba
i   bash                            - The GNU Bourne Again SHell
i   bwm-ng                          - small and simple console-based bandwidth m
i   cron                            - management of regular background processin
i   debconf-english                 - small footprint English-only debconf
i   debian-policy                   - Debian Policy Manual and related documents
i   debian-reference-en             - Debian system administration guide, Englis
i   dnsmasq                         - A small caching DNS proxy and DHCP server
i   doc-linux-html                  - Linux HOWTOs and FAQs in HTML format
i   doc-linux-nonfree-html          - Linux HOWTOs in HTML format (non-free)
i   dosfstools                      - Utilities to create and check MS-DOS FAT f
i   ed                              - The classic unix line editor
i   exim4                           - metapackage to ease exim MTA (v4) installa
i   fdutils                         - Linux floppy utilities
i   file                            - Determines file type using "magic" numbers
i   grub                            - GRand Unified Bootloader
i   grub-doc                        - Documentation for GRand Unified Bootloader
i   gs-gpl                          - The GPL Ghostscript PostScript interpreter
i   gsfonts-x11                     - Make Ghostscript fonts available to X11
i   hwb                             - The Hardware Book
i   icewm                           - wonderful Win95-OS/2-Motif-like window man
i   iptables                        - administration tools for packet filtering
i   less                            - Pager program similar to more
i   libc6-i686                      - GNU C Library: Shared libraries [i686 opti
i   libpaper-utils                  - Library for handling paper characteristics
i   links2                          - Web browser running in both graphics and t
i   linux-image-686                 - Linux kernel image on PPro/Celeron/PII/PII
i   logrotate                       - Log rotation utility
i   lpr                             - BSD lpr/lpd line printer spooling system
i   lrzsz                           - Tools for zmodem/xmodem/ymodem file transf
i   lynx                            - Text-mode WWW Browser
i   mailx                           - A simple mail user agent
i   makepasswd                      - Generate and encrypt passwords
i   man-db                          - The on-line manual pager
i   manpages                        - Manual pages about using a GNU/Linux syste
i   mc                              - midnight commander - a powerful file manag
i   menu                            - generates programs menu for all menu-aware
i   mime-support                    - MIME files 'mime.types' & 'mailcap', and s
i   minicom                         - friendly menu driven serial communication
i   modconf                         - Device Driver Configuration
i   mutt                            - text-based mailreader supporting MIME, GPG
i   nano-tiny                       - free Pico clone with some new features - t
i   netbase                         - Basic TCP/IP networking system
i   ntp                             - Network Time Protocol daemon and utility p
i   openssh-client                  - Secure shell client, an rlogin/rsh/rcp rep
i   openssh-server                  - Secure shell server, an rshd replacement
i   openssl                         - Secure Socket Layer (SSL) binary and relat
i   pdmenu                          - simple full screen menu program
i   pinfo                           - An alternative info-file viewer
i   ppp                             - Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) daemon
i   pppconfig                       - A text menu based utility for configuring
i   procps                          - /proc file system utilities
i   psmisc                          - Utilities that use the proc filesystem
i   python                          - An interactive high-level object-oriented
i   python-doc                      - Documentation for the high-level object-or
i   python2.4                       - An interactive high-level object-oriented
i   resolvconf                      - nameserver information handler
i   rsync                           - fast remote file copy program (like rcp)
i   setserial                       - controls configuration of serial ports
i   shorewall                       - Shoreline Firewall (Shorewall), a high-lev
i   shorewall-doc                   - documentation for Shorewall firewall
i   sysadmin-guide                  - The Linux System Administrators' Guide
i   sysklogd                        - System Logging Daemon
i   traceroute                      - traces the route taken by packets over a T
i   usbutils                        - USB console utilities
i   vim                             - Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor
i   vim-doc                         - Vi IMproved - HTML documentation
i   vim-tiny                        - Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - compact
i   vlock                           - Virtual Console locking program
i   wget                            - retrieves files from the web
i   whiptail                        - Displays user-friendly dialog boxes from s