Re: bash history

On 2008-01-17 06:16:51 +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>> But even if it can append commands, would bash do that *immediately*?
>> It seems that bash can save the history only when it exits.
>
> By immediately, do you mean writing to the history file after every
> command?

Yes (zsh can do that, either just before the command starts or just
after the command ends -- I prefer the former, but of course, the time
taken by each command can no longer be written to the history file).

> I don't think it does that. That would exclude the option of
> ignoring duplicates, wouldn't it?

No, only duplicates from the same shell are ignored. But I'd say this
is a bit the same for bash if append mode is used.