boot (grub) problems

I am currently running 2.6.22-3-k7 and update to testing daily. I
seldome reboot but the last several times the grub menu has not
displayed and the boot messages on the screen are pretty much illegible.
I can sort of make out the words but there seems to be some kind of
overlay on the letters making them difficult to read. After about 2-3
screens full of this the screen suddenly becomes normal and everything
is now perfectly legible.

After the boot process completes everything is normal.

Where did grub go? The files in /boot/grub have been updated by
aptitude. Did the upgrade process for the last kernel update fail to
rerun grub? Is something else out of sync?

--
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed"
		-- Noah Webster