Re: postfix mail server

On 01/15/08 04:27, Stephane Durieux wrote:
> hello,
>
> Building a mail server for 200/300 users (able to grow
> till a thousand) and as a newbie I need an advice

How many mails per day?

> My choice a turned to postfix with virtual mailboxes,
> courrier-imaps, squirrel mail (https), postgrey and
> dspam spam, amavis and clamav against virus, iptables
> for undesired packets.

Marking spam so the user can examine it, or immediately toss the "spam"?

> The "framework" is this one :
> all on the mail server except squirrelmail
>
> The problem is that someone has adviced me to put
> instead a front device with squirrelmail with iptables
> and squirrelmail with a ssh tunnel to smtp and imap
> services
>
> But I don t really understand the gain of that
> framework in terms of security or performance
>
> If someone can help me

How big will the hardware be?  ISTM that modern systems have *more*
  than enough CPU & RAM to host all of that on one box.  It's the
disk IO that might be the bottleneck.

If you simply make spam "go away", then you'll lighten the IO load
*quite* a bit, but marking it and letting the user delete it will
significantly *increase* the IO load.

Let's do some math.
U  =  1000 (Number of users)
Es =   250 (Number of spam mails per day)
Eh =    50 (Number of ham mails per day)
S  = 16384 (Average size of an html email)

So, if you keep spam, the total GB per day that you are writing is:
W = U*(Es+Eh)*S/2^30 = 4.58 GB

Triple that, because obviously the purpose is to do more than store
email.
IO = W*3 = 13.74 GB

If most email reading is done in the 9 hour work day, then that's an
average of 13.74/9 = 1.53GB/hour.

The standard SATA drive can easily sustain 60MB/s throughput.

60*2^20*3600/2^30 = 211GB/hr throughput.

So, even if I'm way underestimating your mail volume, current SATA
drives should be more than adequate to the task.

Also, remember that you can start with squirrelmail on the mail
server, but move it to a different box if the burden is too heavy.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown