Re: Trusted computing [WAS new user question: debian on a Thinkpad T61]

On Jan 13, 2008, at 1:47 PM, Hal Finney wrote:
I am actively involved with
some open-source TPM projects and see this technology as having
tremendous potential. It pains me to see so much uninformed FUD being
cast about whenever the topic comes up.

We're a twitchy bunch, aren't we?

I remember when Intel started shipping processors with unique ID numbers. There was much weeping and gnashing of teeth as open-source proponents and privacy advocates declared that this would lead to the end of civilization as we know it. In reality, it was a huge non- event; no software I know of uses it, and every system I've ever seen has shipped with the processor ID disabled. Even companies that make corporate software, who tend to be more into copy protection than most, seem to have mostly ignored it and stuck with using MAC addresses or external dongles as identifiers.