Re: Movies, household network and 54g limits... (maybe...)

On 14-jan-2008, at 10:33, johnny wrote:

- Only one doubt: in a wireless network, if the router and the nics
are N except one G card, I'd expect the last one drag all back (my
usual idea about CSMA/CD signal-caching collisions: MAC level
saturation), am I right?

That's right. I'm by no means a network expert, but every wireless bridge/router manual will tell you that they are backwards compatible, but at the price of speed. When one of the 802.11g devices is active on my network, speed goes down somewhat.

Little test:

Copying a 1GB file from lan server to laptop en back over 802.11n b/g compatibility mode, 2.4ghz., **only n-devices active** and using netatalk I get allmost 10MB/S average throughput

Copying a 1GB file from lan server to laptop en back over 802.11n in b/g compatibility mode, 2.4ghz., **with one other g-device active** and using netatalk I get about 7MB/S average throughput.

That's less than pure n, but still much better than a g-only network. So the network doesn't completely switch to g-mode. If it has to do with MAC level saturation I really don't know.

Peter