Re: Movies, household network and 54g limits... (maybe...)

> It's actually pretty hard to get the full bandwidth that 802.11g promises.

Sorry if I cut a bit but your objection is fondamentally this way
(possible factors: close wireless networks, 2.4GHz devices, ..., ok,
but all linked to your mother reasoning).

But I am telling you that if you see mrtg graphs you clearly see that
G is not the problem because the bit rate of a movie is Max 2Mbps
(when I use my LAN for copying with scp, I can touch 8/9 for a long
time without problems).

So, maybe, is something different... There is an interesting paper,
"Saturation throughput analysis of error-prone 802.11 wireless
networks" that explains just like the nature of a wireless lan (many
efforts on CMDA...) take you to have more problems when there are more
clients... - at least, this is the idea that I put in my mind :) - and
in fact (but I have to replicate my tries) to me it would seem that
freezes are worse when all my flatmates are using their laptop...

For example, Peter, with N, you say is better, but may I ask you the
architecture of your network? (fast: only you or...)

Thank you so much,
I would like to solve this problem with my cheapy devices ;)
All your opinions are very appreciated,
I am in England
Gionni