Re: problems upgrading texlive-base-bin in unstable

Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2008-01-13 17:23 +0100, charlie derr wrote:

I'm upgrading a sid machine (that's not been upgraded for years
probably).

Generally speaking, this is risky business, but you probably know that.
Leaping over the last stable release is not supported.

Thanks for that hint. I don't mind doing it exactly *because* it's risky business. I like the challenge of trying to hunt down the solution when things break. Of course, part of my lack of fear is knowing that there's a mailing list here as a support option when I get too confused. Thanks :-]

Setting up texlive-base-bin (2007.dfsg.1-2) ...
Running mktexlsr. This may take some time... done.
Building format(s) --all.
        This may take some time...
fmtutil-sys failed. Output has been stored in
/tmp/fmtutil.LeoF4270
Please include this file if you report a bug.

Below is the first part of the contents of that file:

fmtutil: running `mf-nowin -ini   -jobname=mf -progname=mf mf.ini' ...
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6) (INIMF)
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/metafont/config/mf.ini
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/metafont/base/plain.mf
Preloading the plain base, version 2.71: preliminaries,
 basic constants and mathematical macros,
 macros for converting from device-independent units to pixels,
 macros and tables for various modes of operation,
 macros for drawing and filling,
 macros for proof labels and rules,
 macros for character and font administration,
and a few last-minute items.)kpathsea: Running mktexmf modes

! I can't find file `modes'.
l.3 \input modes

Please type another input file name:
! Emergency stop.
l.3 \input modes

Can it be that you purged your old tetex-base package during the
upgrade?

It's possible, I've upgraded 700+ packages since yesterday and it didn't all go smoothly, but up until this point, everything has been solvable.

It sounds like you rediscovered http://bugs.debian.org/420390.
My advice would be to reinstall all texlive packages and take care that
missing conffiles are regenerated, like that:

# dpkg -i --force-confmiss /var/cache/apt/archives/texlive*.deb

I tried that but it didn't really help -- i put more info in a different message on this thread before seeing your reply. I'll go read the bug report on 420390 now.

Good luck,
Sven

Thanks again,
	~c