Re: problems upgrading texlive-base-bin in unstable

On 2008-01-13 17:23 +0100, charlie derr wrote:

> I'm upgrading a sid machine (that's not been upgraded for years
> probably).

Generally speaking, this is risky business, but you probably know that.
Leaping over the last stable release is not supported.

> Setting up texlive-base-bin (2007.dfsg.1-2) ...
> Running mktexlsr. This may take some time... done.
> Building format(s) --all.
>         This may take some time...
> fmtutil-sys failed. Output has been stored in
> /tmp/fmtutil.LeoF4270
> Please include this file if you report a bug.
>
> Below is the first part of the contents of that file:
>
> fmtutil: running `mf-nowin -ini   -jobname=mf -progname=mf mf.ini' ...
> This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6) (INIMF)
> (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/metafont/config/mf.ini
> (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/metafont/base/plain.mf
> Preloading the plain base, version 2.71: preliminaries,
>  basic constants and mathematical macros,
>  macros for converting from device-independent units to pixels,
>  macros and tables for various modes of operation,
>  macros for drawing and filling,
>  macros for proof labels and rules,
>  macros for character and font administration,
> and a few last-minute items.)kpathsea: Running mktexmf modes
>
> ! I can't find file `modes'.
> l.3 \input modes
>
> Please type another input file name:
> ! Emergency stop.
> l.3 \input modes

Can it be that you purged your old tetex-base package during the
upgrade?  It sounds like you rediscovered http://bugs.debian.org/420390.
My advice would be to reinstall all texlive packages and take care that
missing conffiles are regenerated, like that:

# dpkg -i --force-confmiss /var/cache/apt/archives/texlive*.deb

Good luck,
Sven