Re: strange behavior of etherneth cards

Hello!

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:24:10 +0100
"Paul Csanyi" <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have an old PC box that I use as router / gateway.
>
> So far it works well.
>
> There was three etherneth cards in this box:
> eth0 was for my 1. ISp that I use no any more
> eth1 was for my LAN
> eth2 was for my DMZ
>
> Today I change these ethernet cards abowe.
[...]
> Why this happen?
>
> Any advices will be appreciated!

Have a look at /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules. There you will
find something like

###
PCI device 0x10de:0x03ef (forcedeth)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:19:66:3e:7d:bd",
NAME="eth0"
###

Debian/UDEV "holds" the MAC-addresses to assign the "correct" eth-device
number e.g. eth0 to always the same card. So if you remove the card you
have to remove the named file or better move it to another place for
testing. It will be recreated after you reboot your system if not
present. I assume you are using Debian Etch.

Regards
Peter

--
Peter Greff <peter.greff@googlemail.com>