Re: Movies, household network and 54g limits... (maybe...)

On 11-jan-2008, at 19:03, johnny wrote:

Hi,

in my flat there are 1 router, 1 range extender, 2 vista, 1 XP and my
2 linux ubuntu (one of which is mail/samba/nfs/etc server, is
monitored via mrtg and contains a lot of music/movies). All, wireless.

The problem: when I listen to music or watch movies from my laptop (my
flatmates idem) the results are not so good... many freezes...

The graphs say it is clearly not bandwith fault. Reading around:
"                                                    It is well known
that the medium access control (MAC) layer is the main bottleneck for
the IEEE 802.11 wireless LANs."

There are scientific publications around but seems the problem is not
solved.

1. Do you know something, please?

2. With the new N technology, the problem is solved? [I doubt but I
should test...]

I use 802.11n (Apple Airport Extreme) and get good uninterrupted 10 MB/s thoughput. Still, when watching a movie I get a few interrupts. However, that seems to be related to the fileserver and not so much the wireless. I recently switched from an old 4x80MB raid5 set to a single 320MB disk (both with netatalk) and noticed a great improvement from to much interrupts to endure to allmost none. Still I generally copy the file over before playing.

FWIW,

Peter