Re: What's your tools for C++ dev?

Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org>:
>  On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 04:17:03AM +0100, Misko <asdrtg-mlist@yahoo.com.au> was heard to say:
> > On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 03:59:59PM -0200, Felix Cuello wrote:
> > > *manpages-dev - Manual pages about using GNU/Linux for development
> > > manpages-posix-dev - Manual pages about using a POSIX system for development
> > > stl-manual - C++-STL documentation in HTML
> > > libstdc++6-doc - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (documentation files)*
> >
> > Why is there no documetation package for gdb, gcc, g++ on released
> > etch DVDs? I find it too hard to use gdb without some kind of
> > instructions. Same is when I want to use some advanced emacs
> > feature - there is no info manual for it.
>
>    Much of the GNU documentation is non-free, so it can't be distributed
>  with Debian.  You can find the documentation for gdb in gdb-doc, and for
>  libc in glibc-doc-reference.  gcc and g++ are documented in gcc-doc.

... which (just to complete your point for the archives) you can get
at by adding "non-free" to your /etc/apt/sources.list (this is etch):

(0) heretic /home/keeling_ egrep -v '^#|^$' /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
deb-src http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main

"non-free" in the case of documentation is licencing crap.  Legal
mumbo-jumbo which has nothing to do with stepping on authors' rights.