Weird keymapping going on with VNC

I have a really weird issue going on with VNC.  I am running Xvnc on Debian (provided by the vncserver package) and the RealVNC client on a Windows box.  My X keymap is set to dvorak, as is my Windows one.

I wish it were as simple as a double/triple application of dvorak going on (a problem that gets annoying enough as it is) but while that does appear to be happening too, it gets more convoluted.

When I type "asdf" on the keyboard with both systems using dvorak, "azgm" shows up.  If I switch to qwerty on the 'doze box I instead get "abfh."

Now for the real fun.  When I type "1234" in either case I get "90-=".  Other notable deviations are that 5 behaves like backspace, and enter behaves like the spacebar.

I am at a complete loss how to even begin fixing this.  The numeric stuff makes it seem like 8 is being added to the keyboard scancodes somewhere, which would explain why 5 acts like backspace if keyboard scancodes are based on position instead of the ASCII chart.  (I must admit my ignorance on the topic.)  However, this idea does not make sense given that "a" registers correctly in every situation I have tried.

Ideas?

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com