Re: resize2fs

On Wednesday 09 January 2008 22:26, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> I would like to increase the size of my /var partition. It is a logical
> volume so I made it bigger with lvexpand. I then ran resize2fs, which
> according to the man page works on mounted file systems with kernels
> after 2.6 and my kernel is 2.6.22-3-k7. However, this is the output of
> the command:
>
> resize2fs 1.40.3 (05-Dec-2007)
> Filesystem at /dev/vg0/var is mounted on /var; on-line resizing required
> old desc_blocks = 1, new_desc_blocks = 2
> resize2fs: Filesystem does not support online resizing

  I ran into this a while ago also, I have no explanation.
But I know the next one:

> lvdisplay now gives:
>
>   --- Logical volume ---
>   LV Name                /dev/vg0/var
>   LV Size                25.00 GB
>
> but df still gives:

> /dev/mapper/vg0-var    15G   12G  2.1G  86% /var
>
> Has the file system been expanded or not?

  No, the file system has not been resized yet, only the
(virtual) device on which it resides has been resized.
Rebooting in and of itself won't change this.

  It may be possible to reboot with init=/bin/sh, which
will not start many processes, and resize it from that
environment.  You may have to manually activate the lv
before you can talk to it.

  Possibly somebody else has a less drastic suggestion?

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net