resize2fs

I would like to increase the size of my /var partition. It is a logical
volume so I made it bigger with lvexpand. I then ran resize2fs, which
according to the man page works on mounted file systems with kernels
after 2.6 and my kernel is 2.6.22-3-k7. However, this is the output of
the command:

resize2fs 1.40.3 (05-Dec-2007)
Filesystem at /dev/vg0/var is mounted on /var; on-line resizing required
old desc_blocks = 1, new_desc_blocks = 2
resize2fs: Filesystem does not support online resizing

The mount command gives:

/dev/mapper/vg0-var on /var type ext3 (rw)

Is online resizing a compile time flag that debian doesn't set?

lvdisplay now gives:

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/vg0/var
  VG Name                vg0
  LV UUID                SnuTgs-0Lvs-2BmS-TqQ8-Onj0-3xss-SrMjPS
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                25.00 GB
  Current LE             6400
  Segments               3
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           254:2

but df still gives:

/dev/mapper/vg0-var    15G   12G  2.1G  86% /var

Has the file system been expanded or not? Do I need to reboot to get
things in sync? I can't unmount/mount /var since many processes use it.

--
"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
 when you make it again." -- Franklin P. Jones