ntpd restart on IP address change the Debian way

Bob wrote:
Cameron Hutchison wrote:
Bob wrote:
Bob wrote:
Is there such a thing?

When my firewall / dhcp server / ntp server gets a fresh IP address from my ISP the ntp daemon stops responding to requests.
Is the silence because it's a stupid question or because there isn't a preferred work around for this?

How does your firewall get its IP address?
If it is by PPP then you can scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-{up,down}.d to start
and stop the ntp daemon. This should get triggered when a new IP address is negotiated.

Via DHCP, the ADSL 'modem' (D-link DSL-320T) passes it's wan IP address onto the client, and when it doesn't have one it gives you 192.168.1.2 with a 30 second lease so you get connected within that time when the link coming up, and if the link doesn't come up then your logs fill up instead.

Check the man page for pppd(8) and search for ip-up to see the details
of how it's used, but just dropping scripts in those directories should
be sufficient.

I wonder if it's possible to persuade the dhcp client to run a script?

Thanks for you response.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but this is really irritating me, after reading through the Bug Reports it seems this has been fixed in version 4.2.4 which is fine for Lenny but I don't want to run Lenny on my firewall, it's very simple dedicated etch box with nothing other than main and updates in its /etc/apt/sources.list so I don't want to start messing around with apt pinning.

Is there a simple way to get the dhcp client to restart ntpd on IP address change?

Thank you.