Re: new user question: debian on a Thinkpad T61

Thanks to Chris and Mike for your responses - I appreciate your input and time

On Jan 9, 2008 6:14 AM, Chris Lale <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk> wrote:
[snip]
> Perhaps it would be best to install with dual booting by shrinking your Windoze
> partition - have a look at the Debian NewbieDOC wiki [1].

and

On Jan 8, 2008 11:08 PM, Mike Bird <mgb@yosemite.net> wrote:
[snip]
> I kept the recovery partition,
> shrank the Vista partition (needed for a game) and assigned most
> of the space to a mostly Lenny install with Sid xserver for nvidia.

The reasons I don't want Vista are as follows:
(1) Microsoft claims even the Home Basic needs "20 GB hard drive with
at least 15 GB of available space" (see
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/systemrequirements.mspx)

I suppose I could dual boot with less than that, but I still don't
want to be wasting 10+ GB of space on something I would almost never
use.

(2) If I were to dual boot, I would rather do it with XP, since it has
worked relatively well for me, and not Vista.  I might do this as an
afterthought, but I really want to see how far I can go without M$.  I
am not a big gamer.  The only reason I would have Windows is because
there might be unforeseeable circumstances when I may run into Windows
only software.  I am sure if I needed to, I could always shrink by
Debian partition later and install XP, right?

Once I actually get the laptop and run into hardware issues, you'll
probably see me back here with more questions.

Also, do any of you use the fingerprint reader?  That is one thing I
am interested in / curious about.

Thanks again,

--
Jimmy Wu