Re: bash scripts and files

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 13:26 +0100, Dan H wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:03:07 +0000
> michael <cs@networkingnewsletter.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > > .bashrc and .bash_profile are different. They are only reasonably
> > > invoked by a bash shell, so it is safe to assume they are written
> > > using bash syntax. They are, after all, configuration files for
> > > bash, so what other language would they be written in?
> >
> > "reasonably"?!
> > and where is it stated they are different?
> > surely they should have the !# at the start too
> > it's this implicitness that upsets me!
>
> They aren't even executable, so why should they have hash-bang?

aha, now that's a very good point! and perhaps the clearest reason:

scripts are executable and require hash-bang (strictly they don't have
to have that but it's useful to ensure they will run if they contain
shell specifics)

files associated with the innovation of a shell (such
as .bashrc, .cshrc, .bash_profile) are not shells and are not executable
and thus do not require hash-bang