Re: What is going on in debian-user?

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 04:35:42 +0100 (CET)
"s. keeling" <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:

> Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de>:

> It amazes me that they refuse to accept the obvious.
> Linux/Debian/Gnu provides all the solutions they need, yet they
> continue to rely on Lookout! and Gmail, instead of slapping in
> procmail/mailfilter and bogofilter/SA.  Huh.  I've no sympathy,
> sorry.  I'm not seeing a crap flood from where I'm sitting.

Spam filtering ain't so easy. OK, I have shell access to the UNIX server from which I get my email via IMAP, so I'm filtering server-side using procmail and ifile. Every now and then I feed in "ham" and "spam" mailboxes by hand via the shell.

But I'll change my job in a few weeks and won't be on that server any more, so I installed the bogofilter plugin for Claws-Mail to try some client-side filtering.

Well, it doesn't filter worth shit. I keep marking stuff as "spam" and "ham", but the filter does plain nothing.

Side note: I just can't get my head around GUI stuff, and my wife is increasingly annoyed by the GNOME desktop I installed for her and wants to go back to Windows. After more than a decade of working on well-honed (for my needs) Linux systems my attempts to install and configure GUI desktops and applications have shown me how far Linux is removed from everyday desktop useability.

What I want to say is: I have a great MUA and a highly praised SPAM filter, but if I have to cruise mailing lists for weeks to figure out how to get it to work, "slapping in" is not the proper term to describe the installation process.

--D.