Re: mount dvd error

On 1/9/08, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:10:14PM +1100, hce wrote:
>
> > Is "cdck" a command? I could not find it, or should I install it, what
> > is the package?
> >

> package cdck.

All right, I installed cdck package. Here is the interesting test:

1. In my linux box for a DVD which could not be read, it was an error:
$ sudo cdck -d /dev/hdc
Unable to read TOC because unable to read TOC, reason: Input/output error.

But, if I put that dvd disk to another machine Window XP OS, it works fine.

2. In my linux box, I put another DVD disk:

$ sudo cdck -d /dev/hdc

! TOC and lseek() return different information about size , using
lseek()'s number of sectors which is 2077024

Reading sectors 1-2077024
2077024 ok

CD overall:
   Sectors total: 2077024:
   Good sectors: 2077024:
   Bad sectors (incl. with poor timing): 0
CD timings:
   Minimal = 11 usec (0.000011s)
   Maximal = 151716 usec (0.151716s)
   Average = 204 usec (0.000204s)

The linux box DVD drive works fine for some disks, but not for one
disk which can be read from a window XP box, what is that tell me, my
linux box dvd drive (LG Multi RW) is low quality, or not reliable?

3. Is it correct for any blank CD / DVD it prints out:

$ sudo cdck -d /dev/hdd
Unable to read TOC because unable to open cdrom '/dev/hdd', reason: No
medium found

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim