Re: ssh X11Forward safety

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:47:16AM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> security of my data and a need to use a browser with javascript and
> sometimes flash; some sites only work with Iceweasel.

You're over-complicating this. You can use X without forwarding X11 by
tunneling VNC or using nxclient. Both methods display the remote X11
sessions without giving the remote system access to your local X server.

For SSH, just start vncserver with the -localhost flag, and forward port
59xx as follows:

    ssh -L5900:localhost:5900 vncserver.example.com

If you're using tightvnc (or the Debianizd vnc4 packages) you can do the
same thing with the -via flag to vncviewer. Then just connect to
localhost:0 with VNC, and voila!

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
	-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"