Re: ipw3945 takes a while to warm up???

A few days ago, in the middle of a spam storm, I wrote:

> Hi list
>
> I'm running etch on a Toshiba Satellite laptop I picked up about a year
> ago now in Hong Kong. It's on my home wireless LAN supported by a
> Buffalo Airstation 54G which I bought recently here in Japan. The
> wireless LAN card in the laptop is an inbuilt Intel ipw3945.
>
> If I configure my interfaces file to use WEP, and configure my wireless
> router accordingly, everything works perfectly.
>
> However, I recently made the switch to WPA. What I notice now is that
> when I boot up the initial attempt to get an IP address from the
> wireless router via DHCP USUALLY fails (very occasionally works first
> time, but hasn't for ages now) -- times out and eventually gives up. The
> boot then continues and I end up in gdm as normal. If I now log straight
> in I will find networking is not working. However, if I just leave it
> for a while and go make a coffee or something, when I come back and log
> in, networking will be working. So something is clearly trying again
> later and succeeding the second time.

I just discovered last night that, whilst my machine displays the below symptoms
 using the stock etch-packaged 2.6.18-5-686 kernel, a 2.6.22 kernel I built
myself from kernel.org does not -- the network comes up properly at boot time.
For that kernel I built the ipw3945 driver myself (with help from the source
package maintainer!) from the source in unstable (was advised to do so by the
package maintainer, don't remember why). Wonder if the ipw3945 driver in the
stock kernel is at the root of this? Or am I getting too OT for this list?

Mark