ipw3945 takes a while to warm up???

Hi list

I'm running etch on a Toshiba Satellite laptop I picked up about a year
ago now in Hong Kong. It's on my home wireless LAN supported by a
Buffalo Airstation 54G which I bought recently here in Japan. The
wireless LAN card in the laptop is an inbuilt Intel ipw3945.

If I configure my interfaces file to use WEP, and configure my wireless
router accordingly, everything works perfectly.

However, I recently made the switch to WPA. What I notice now is that
when I boot up the initial attempt to get an IP address from the
wireless router via DHCP USUALLY fails (very occasionally works first
time, but hasn't for ages now) -- times out and eventually gives up. The
boot then continues and I end up in gdm as normal. If I now log straight
in I will find networking is not working. However, if I just leave it
for a while and go make a coffee or something, when I come back and log
in, networking will be working. So something is clearly trying again
later and succeeding the second time.

It's not a huge deal but I'd like it to work the first time. Previously
I noticed a kernel module ieee80211_crypt_ccmp being loaded just after
the initial attempt to connect to the router during boot, so I added
that to /etc/modules to see if that would help (the idea being to put it
in place before the attempt to connect) but it hasn't made any
difference.

I'm thinking that some of my startup scripts are out of order but I'm
not sure which ones are relevant, so looking for advice.

Thanks in advance

Mark