Re: detecting hdd on usb cable

On 01/08/08 13:08, Andrew Henry wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 01/08/08 12:37, Andrew Henry wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
ATA converter cable?  Where does the power come from?

I've only heard of HDDs in external USB enclosures.

The fact that it works on WinXP should've given you a clue :)
Not really, since I'm not clued in to each and every USB adapter.
What I meant to say was that the fact that it works at all under windows
should have indicated that power *is* being supplied *somehow*.   That
you didn't know exactly how it was supplied doesn't really matter.  It
has a standard USB connector on one end and a big chunky dual ATA plus
SATA converter at the other end.  Power supplied by separate cable.

Call me curious.

                                                            It has a
seperate power cable that plugs straight into the wall outlet.
And the HDD circuitry lays exposed to the world?

Yes it is.  This cable is not sold as or intended as an "external hard
drive" solution.  It is a cable for the simply reason of being able to
temporarily attach a hard drive to another system without opening the
working system.

Very interesting.  And useful for hardware technicians.

What happens when you run "# tail -f /var/log/syslog" and then plug in the power cable?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown