Re: -bash: no job control in this shell

Mitchell Laks <mlaks@post.harvard.edu> writes:

[...]

> 1) I don't know what this means.

It means you can't hit CTRL-Z to suspend a process, move processes to
the foreground and background, or use the jobs command.  See the JOB
CONTROL section of bash(1) for more details.

Not sure what causes it, but I always (and only) see it when I boot
for emergency recovery with "init=/bin/sh".

> 2) I don't know what causes it.

It may have something to do with your terminal.

> 3) It bothers me (I dont know why. Just in principle!).

It's fairly harmless, but very annoying, especially if you get stuck
and need to kill something.

> 4) So if I really want that job control thingy back, what do I have to do.

Depending on what's caused it to break, you could look at your
terminal configuration, try using the "set -m" command to turn job
control back on, starting up another shell, or using screen(1).

> I figure it is a left over from some mess up of my . files. But
> Professor Google has not clued me in to know what causes this.

To find out, create a brand new user with default dotfiles, and try
logging in as that user.

Hope this helps,

----Scott.