Re: -bash: no job control in this shell

Mitchell Laks(mlaks@post.harvard.edu) is reported to have said:
> Hi Gurus!
>
> When I boot my debian sid workstation:
>
> I usually log into tty1 and then run startx. But sometimes i noodle around at the command line,
> say to update drivers for X or whatever, run emacs, etc.
>
> I notice right after I initially login to  the pc
>
> the shell says to me (ominously):
>
> -bash: no job control in this shell.
>
> 1) I don't know what this means.
> 2) I don't know what causes it.
> 3) It bothers me (I dont know why. Just in principle!).
> 4) So if I really want that job control thingy back, what do I have to do.
>
> I figure it is a left over from some mess up of my . files. But Professor Google
> has not clued  me in to know what causes this.

I have the same problem on a vendor install testing partition running
amd64.  I searched for the answer for weeks before asking on the and64
list and not getting an answer.  Odd that it's only on tty1.

I get rid of the "-bash: no job control in this shell" by logging in
and then doing a ^c.  It logs that shell out and doesn't return on the
next login.

I've been installing Debian for years and have never seen this before.
Sure would like to figure this out so let me know if you do.

Wayne

--
You can measure a programmer's perspective by noting his attitude on
the continuing viability of FORTRAN.