Re: re-using a damaged disk

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 16:04:10 +0100
pol <linux_milano@yahoo.it> wrote:

> I would like to re-use a physically crashed disk. My guess is that its
> surface has been damaged. I would like to re-install debian (or kubuntu).
> How is it possible to reformat the disk, without using the damaged area?
>
> Thank you

Usually the hard drive controller keeps track of the damaged sectors/blocks of the disk and doesn't write data to it. However, I don't suggest using the disk because you could potentially lose a lot of data.

If the hard drive is less than 5 years old you could probably get it replaced from the manufacturer.

Amit