Re: re-using a damaged disk

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 04:04:10PM +0100, pol wrote:
> I would like to re-use a physically crashed disk. My guess is that its
> surface has been damaged. I would like to re-install debian (or kubuntu).
> How is it possible to reformat the disk, without using the damaged area?

Why?

How do you know its physically crashed?  If it is physically crashed,
the head are probably dead too.  If you try, what errors do you get?

Try booting up a live CD like GRML, format the whole drive as one
filesystem having it check for badblocks.  Have tail -f /var/syslog
runing in another VT and watch the errors.  Also listen to the drive.

Be careful, though, since a failed disk can take out the drive
controller on your MB.

Doug.