Re: tapes best for backup?

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 12:46:11AM -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Why do you think DLTs are more reliable than optical media or hard drives? My experience with tapes in general (not DLTs) certainly does not predispose me towards that view, but I suppose DLTs could be "different". I've never had a CD or DVD go bad once it passed verification, and some of my cds are from the early 1990s (Kodak Photo CDs). I *have* had tapes in every format I've ever used, from 7-track up to DDS, go bad or be unreadable for other reasons. I've also had a lot of the *drives* go bad, which means I'd probably want two or three before storing anything important on the tape format.

<snip>
Interestingly enough, I can still use the IBM floppies that an old
version of OS/2 came on in 1988.  I've had new floppies fail but not
those old IBM ones.  Go figure.

My wife keeps insisting that my Windows95 on those IBM floppies are still good. Let me give it a try. They are from 1990.

Hugo