RE : Re: Kernel issues due to identical network cards

--- "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> a écrit
:

> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 11:06:31PM +0100, David
> MAGNY wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am upgrading a firewall from Sarge to Etch.
> >
> > On this machine, I have 3 network cards.
> >
> > 2 networks cards are identical. It is PCI network
> > cards and it is SMC1233A-TX.
> >
> > On Sarge, everything worked well.
> >
> > The issue is that only one card of both is
> available.
>
> What exactly does this line mean?  Do you mean that
> of the two identical
> cards, only one is available?

Yes, only one is available

> > The used kernel is  2.6.18.
> >
> > Within the dmesg log file, I have the following
> > information :
> >

> > I noticed that the two identical network cards are
> > detected  :
> >
> > eth1: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0001c800,
> > 00:50:BF:B0:CB:4B, IRQ 217.
> > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:0d.0[A] -> GSI 49
> (level,
> > low) -> IRQ 225
> > tulip1:  MII transceiver #1 config 1000 status
> 786d
> > advertising 05e1.
> > eth2: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0001cc00,
> > 00:50:BF:B7:F2:79, IRQ 225.
> >
> > I added the following parameters to the kernel
> > pci=irprouting, and I always have the same issue.
>
> You also have this (culled from your dmesg)
>
> > e1000: eth0: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000
> Network
> > Connection
> > usb 1-1: device not accepting address 2, error -71
> >   Vendor: ATA       Model: WDC WD800AAJS-18  Rev:
> 01.0
> >   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI
> SCSI
> > revision: 05
> > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:0c.0[A] -> GSI 53
> (level,
> > low) -> IRQ 217
> > tulip0:  MII transceiver #1 config 1000 status
> 786d
> > advertising 05e1.
>
> so at least you know that the kernel is finding the
> card.
>
> I don't like the 2.6 dmesg with messages from
> different modules being
> intermixed.  Since I don't know the kernel
> internals, its hard for me to
> tell what line belongs to which device if it doesn't
> start with a device
> node.  So, in this case, I don't know if the third
> line (usb 1-1...)
> relates to the problem or not.
>
> This suggests that eth0 is the intel card, while
> eth1 and eth2 are the
> two ADMtek comets.

Yes you are right. But, I use ifrename (/etc/iftab) in
order to be sure that a network interface has always
the same name when I restart the server.

if my /etc/iftab I mention that,
ethO is one of ADMtek comet
eth1 is the intel card
eth2 is the other ADMtek card

and in fact eth2 is not available.

> What does your /etc/network/interfaces look like?
#eth0 is connected to Internet
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address X.X.X.X
netmask X.X.X.X
network X.X.X.X
broadcast X.X.X.X
gateway X.X.X.X

#eth1 is connected to the private network
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.0.254
netmask 255.255.255.0