Re: Kernel issues due to identical network cards

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 11:06:31PM +0100, David MAGNY wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am upgrading a firewall from Sarge to Etch.
>
> On this machine, I have 3 network cards.
>
> 2 networks cards are identical. It is PCI network
> cards and it is SMC1233A-TX.
>
> On Sarge, everything worked well.
>
> The issue is that only one card of both is available.

What exactly does this line mean?  Do you mean that of the two identical
cards, only one is available?

> The used kernel is  2.6.18.
>
> Within the dmesg log file, I have the following
> information :
>

> I noticed that the two identical network cards are
> detected  :
>
> eth1: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0001c800,
> 00:50:BF:B0:CB:4B, IRQ 217.
> ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:0d.0[A] -> GSI 49 (level,
> low) -> IRQ 225
> tulip1:  MII transceiver #1 config 1000 status 786d
> advertising 05e1.
> eth2: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0001cc00,
> 00:50:BF:B7:F2:79, IRQ 225.
>
> I added the following parameters to the kernel
> pci=irprouting, and I always have the same issue.

You also have this (culled from your dmesg)

> e1000: eth0: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network
> Connection
> usb 1-1: device not accepting address 2, error -71
>   Vendor: ATA       Model: WDC WD800AAJS-18  Rev: 01.0
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI
> revision: 05
> ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:0c.0[A] -> GSI 53 (level,
> low) -> IRQ 217
> tulip0:  MII transceiver #1 config 1000 status 786d
> advertising 05e1.

so at least you know that the kernel is finding the card.

I don't like the 2.6 dmesg with messages from different modules being
intermixed.  Since I don't know the kernel internals, its hard for me to
tell what line belongs to which device if it doesn't start with a device
node.  So, in this case, I don't know if the third line (usb 1-1...)
relates to the problem or not.

This suggests that eth0 is the intel card, while eth1 and eth2 are the
two ADMtek comets.

What does your /etc/network/interfaces look like?

Doug.