Re: tapes best for backup?

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

One of the threads over at misc@openbsd.org has gone OT (for them) into
discussing backup media.  The concensus there seems to be that tape
(e.g. DLT) is still the best for long-term storage (e.g. archives)
because CD/DVDs fade rather quickly while hard drives get "bit rot" over the
years and since they're not being run frequently you don't see error
messages appearing.

I'm wondering what people here on DU use.  Lets say the archive size is
7 GB.  It could fit on one DVD; one(?) or two USB sticks, SD cards, etc;
an old spare hard drive or a new dedicated hard drive in (presumably) an
external (USB, firewire, eSATA?) case.

Do people still use tape?  I note that the drive prices for used drives
on eBay are quite low but then most (?) would need to add the
appropriate scsi card since I doubt they would be SATA compatible.

Other than rsyncing to another box, what do people use for
put-it-on-the-shelf archiving?

I use DDS4 drives: one at work, one at home. The ones I have are USB which is nice. They work out-of-the-box with standard st driver in the kernel.

http://h18003.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/dat40usb/index.html

Andy

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Associate Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA