Re: upgrading in sid

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 07:26:18PM -0800, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> On 12/31/07, charlie derr <cderr@simons-rock.edu> wrote:
>
> snip some stuff
>

> > I'm not aware of ever intentionally doing anything to install any 64bit
> > libs.  My whole system is running as 32-bit.
>
> MIne too (I don't do AMD64 because I don't have an AMD64, sniff).
>
> But I also see 64 bit stuff in /lib64. And I don't think they are for
> 64bit file position related stuff
> because if I disassemble one representative file I see 64 bit instructions.
>
> As these will likely never get used until or unless I get a 64bit
> machine, how do I remove them? I don't think I ever explicitly told
> aptitude to install these libraries.

  You didn't say what libraries they are or what packages they come from
(use dpkg -S to find the latter out).  But on my system the only 64-bit
libraries are in /usr/lib64/fakeroot.  I assume it includes them so that
it can run programs that are themselves 64-bit.

  Other 64-bit libraries are in these packages (according to apt-file):

    * amd64-libs, support software for running 64-bit programs in a
      32-bit environment (AIUI).  Required by amd64-libs-dev.

    * lib64gcc1, required by various 64-bit libraries.

    * lib64ncurses5, also required by various 64-bit libraries.

    * lib64readline5, required by gdb64.

    * libc6-amd64, required by gdb64 and various 64-bit libraries,
      along with libc6-dev-amd64.

  Daniel