Re: "Waiting for root file system" problem

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 06:24:07AM -0500, dave N wrote:
> dave N <drn_temp2@rogers.com> wrote: Hi:
>
>   I've installed Etch r1 and the only real thing I've done to the system is updated the system, though during the update it updated the kernel to the same kernel that was installed during the installation (used the medium to try and get more control over Grub install).
>
>   The computer is about 2 years old, dual CPU Xeons, with 2 SATA drives and 2 SCSI drives.  The system has not been highly used over the past 2 years. The system drive where Debian is installed is on a SATA 36 Gb Raptor that is just for the OS, drive was reformatted during install using ext3.
>
>   During boot the system appears to find all the drives OK when I am reading as fast as I can, but then I get the following (from a photo of the screen messages)
>
>   Begin: Mounting root file system... ...
>   Begin: running /scripts/local-top ...
>   ide0: I/O resource  0x1F0-0x1F7 not free.
>   ide0: ports already in use, skipping probe
>   ide1: I/O resource 0x170-0x177 not free.
>   ide1: ports already in use, skipping probe
>   Done.
>   Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
>
>   And it stops right there. 0's above may be 8's, can't tell from the picture.

If you wait long enough (at least 30 seconds, maybe a couple minutes,
I can't remember) you should get dropped to a busybox shell. Then look
at /scripts/local-top and see what it's trying to run there. That may
provide a clue.

Also, in the busybox shell, look at what modules are inserted and see
if you've got some conflict there.

>   I booted with Knoppix live and there is nothing in /var/log/messages, none of the logs appear to have changed since I last booted 2 days ago. I have not run fsck or anything else on this yet.

you might try chrooting into the system and rebuilding the initrd from
the knoppix boot. also use knoppix to compare modules...

hth