Re: Terminal issues in fresh install

Thomas Dickey wrote:
Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:

  IIRC there was a situation a few years ago where you had to install a
Unicode-enabled xterm, pass "-u", or both.  Sarge dates to 2005; I'm sure
that there were X terminals in 2005 that could handle UTF-8, but I don't
know if the default xterm did.

xterm's supported UTF-8 since 1999:

	http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.log.html

(likewise, it's been possible to change the encoding)

Default xterm doesn't but if you want xterm with utf-8, that's another xterm install option. All you have to do is ensure you have en-USutf-8 installed as a locales option, and xterm utf-8 will pick it up.
Regards,

--
David Palmer
Linux User - #352034