Re: resize the partition with /

Manu Hack wrote:
Edit the file /tmp/newroot/boot/grub/menu.lst and replace (hd0,1) with
(hda0,0) and root=/dev/hda2 with root=/dev/hda1. Similarly fix the root
filesystem entry in /tmp/newroot/etc/fstab by changing /dev/hda2 to
/dev/hda1.

Now you should be able to boot into either of your two partitions.
So I got two grub/menu.lst, but how grub knows which one to read (one
is hda1 and one is hda2)?
Grub will read the menu.lst from the partition that contained
/boot/grub/menu.lst when "grub-install" was run.

So if I want grub to read the menu.lst from hda1, I should boot in
using hda1 and run grub-install /dev/hda1 and then supposedly I can
use hda2 for other storage?

Yes, except that the command should be "grub-install /dev/hda" to install grub on the master boot record.