Re: Random System Crashes

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 10:33:27PM -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> > Lately (For the past month or so) I've been experiencing random system
> > crashes. My system would just completely lock up and not respond to
> > anything but a power-down (I've tried switching to TTY1, among other
> > things, but nothing works).
> >
> > I don't even know where to start diagnosing this problem...I'm looking
> > for help on where to start. ANY help would be appreciated.
> >
> > If you need any more information just ask, besides the fact that I'm
> > running Debian Lenny with a teeny bit of Sid (amd64 as well).
>
> It may be this[1] xorg freezing problem that some people have been
> having. Can do a remote login? If so does everything seem to work
> alright in the new session?
>
> [1]http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/09/msg01265.html

I've been having this problem since upgrading to etch.  The crashes
happen once or twice a month, which is often enough to be really
irritating but too infrequent for me to know how to debug.

Restarting X remotely does seem to work, if the crash happens while my
(laptop) is on a network where I can ssh in.

Rob

--
Rob Mahurin
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy