Re: P-II ASUS box won't boot another drive

* Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> [071002 18:21]:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 04:38:38PM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
>
> > In order to get the system to boot, I found it necessary to install
> > the 32Gbyte clip jumper on any drive larger than 32Gbyte.
> >
> > Once the system boots, W2000 thinks it is running on a 32Gbyte drive.
> > However, Debian sees the entire drive, despite the clip jumper.
> >

> What is a clip jumper?
>
> Doug.

Doug,

On the back of a typical IDE drive, between the power and data
connectors, there is a double-row configuration header; it looks just
like the data connector, except it typically has only four sets of
pins.

One or more shorting jumpers are plugged onto the pins in order to
configure the drive as master, slave, or cable-select.  And one pair
of jumpers provides a 32Gbyte clip, so that the BIOS thinks that the
drive is smaller than it really is.  The jumper doesn't change the
physical characteristics of the drive; it simply deceives the BIOS.

Somewhere on the label of the drive, the manufacturer should have
provided a diagram or a table showing which pins to jumper for the
various configuration options.  If not, then you need to check the web
site of the manufacturer for a diagram or table.

When installed, a jumper "shorts" or "bridges" a pair of pins.  The
jumper has a plastic body and a gold-plated brass insert; it is about
6 mm long, 2.5 mm wide, and 5 mm high.

A new drive typically ships with at least two jumpers.  Sometimes an
extra pair of dummy pins provides a place to "park" a spare jumper.
The same type of jumper is used on the back of CD-ROM drives.  So if
you need a jumper and there is not a spare jumper on the drive, look
around for an old disk drive or an old CD-ROM drive.

RLH