Re: resize the partition with /

On 9/30/07, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 04:17:42PM -0400, Manu Hack wrote:
> >
> >> I have a problem with an old desktop running etch.  Before it was
> >> running XP + etch dual boot.  But recently I have deleted the whole XP
> >>  partition.  Now the problem is I started running out of space for the
> >> etch.  I want to resize the partition so that I can install more
> >> programs and stuff like that.  The current partition is like
> >>
> >> hda1 - 5G  (before running XP)
> >> hda2 - 1G ( etch is living here)
> >>
> >> So I'd like to resize hda2 but I can't as it said I need to unmount
> >> hda2 before resizing.  People suggest using a live CD but it's not
> >> possible with my old laptop (I didn't even install etch using CD, I
> >> can only install etch via goodbyemicrosoft.com).  USB boot is also not
> >> available.
> >>

> > Have you considered reinstalling onto hda1 without removing hda2?
> >
> Or mount hda1 at some point on hda2 where you need the extra space.
> Voila!  5 GB extra space.  You could also remove hda1 and recreate
> several partitions if you want to add space at multiple points in your
> filesystem.

That's what I'm doing.  But is it possible to increase the size for
apt-get upgrade and apt-get install?  Right now I can use that 5G for
personal use but for the main thing like in /usr what's the best way
to make use of that 5G?

Any good website showing how to do add space at multiple points in the
file system?

Manu