Re: Spring clean

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 07:52:41PM +0200, Pál Csányi wrote:
2007/9/29, andy <geek_show@dsl.pipex.com>:
Can someone recommend a newbie-friendly easy, and safe way of cleaning
house so that I can retain those packages that I need (and want) but can
clear out the dust bunnies, etc..?
If you use aptitude, or synaptic then you must to manually select
there packages you want to purge. After you have purged those
packages, you should to purge orphaned packages, I think. For this you
may to use 'sudo aptitude purge $(deborphan)' command.

aptitude *should* more or less deal with the orphaned packages
already. BUt otherwise, I agree, aptitude is the way to go, through
the gui. It takes a little time to dig through it all, but if you can
focus on removing higher-level packages, it won't take long to see
significant numbers of extraneous libs and supporting packages getting
wiped out.
I have used apt-get since installation and am comfortable with that. I will have to familiarise myself with aptitude. What GUI are you referring to? I enter sudo aptitude at a term. So far, after a quick scroll it looks like I'm going to have to work my way through aptitude to figure out how to do this.

Cheers