Re: Spring clean

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 07:52:41PM +0200, Pál Csányi wrote:
> 2007/9/29, andy <geek_show@dsl.pipex.com>:
> > Can someone recommend a newbie-friendly easy, and safe way of cleaning
> > house so that I can retain those packages that I need (and want) but can
> > clear out the dust bunnies, etc..?
>
> If you use aptitude, or synaptic then you must to manually select
> there packages you want to purge. After you have purged those
> packages, you should to purge orphaned packages, I think. For this you
> may to use 'sudo aptitude purge $(deborphan)' command.

aptitude *should* more or less deal with the orphaned packages
already. BUt otherwise, I agree, aptitude is the way to go, through
the gui. It takes a little time to dig through it all, but if you can
focus on removing higher-level packages, it won't take long to see
significant numbers of extraneous libs and supporting packages getting
wiped out.