Re: efficiency of windows managers

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 01:32:43PM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2007, at 6:45 PM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>>    So, for example, if I'm
>>    working in an x-term and I want another one, when it opens, the
>>    first one gets resized to half the screen and the new one gets the
>>    other half. Open another, and they each get squeezed into 1/3,
>>    etc. Its a little wierd at first, but after practice, it really
>>    begins to shine.
>
> Hmm.  That seems like it'd be a pain with xterms, since text software often
> doesn't take well to having its window resized.  I try to keep my xterms as
> close to 80x24 as possible to minimize problems with things like aptitude.

its no doubt that's a problem that crops up occaisionaly. It depends
on the software though. I find that mutt running in a screen instance
within an xfterminal (or whatever xfce's temrinal is, hangover from
xfce install) will get pretty wonky after its been detached,
reattached on another machine (ssh) but not that often. Probably some
curses apps would have fits too. Sometimes pagination of manpages or
less sessions will get borked, but IME, the vast majority of the time
its not a problem. And the gui app don't mind at all, although,
if you're using a full-screen stacked setup, some of those print
dialogs or file-pickers look pretty funny all stretched out.