Re: USB enclosure?

Zach:

> I just bought an external HDD enclosure for my old IDE disks so I can
> attack to my laptop using USB. How do I set this up?

What exactly do you want to achieve? If you don't need automounting, you
don't need to do anything at all. As soon as you plug the drive in, the
necessary module gets loaded automatically and you have to look up the
new device names in your syslog or from dmesg.

> I will not always
> have the same IDE disk in there when I boot (there are 3 HDD) nor will
> I even have the enclosure connected to my USB port every time I boot
> up.

For stable device names, irrespective of the order of plugin, you need
to write udev rules. This is not as complicated as it sounds and there
are a lot of howtos on the net.

That makes it easy to write fstab entries so you can easily mount your
filesystems as a user.

> So how do I handle this? I am running 2.6.18 kernel with udev (and
> no I have no clue how to write udev rules and I hope kernel developers
> abandon udev foolishness in the future and return to devfs + some
> extensions heh).

Don't hold your breath.

> What kernel modules will I need to load setup this device and do I
> just add them to /etc/modules, run depmod -a and reboot?

You need to do nothing at all.

> And then lsmod to verify they were loaded and just plugin the
> drive enclosure? Do I need create a special device for USB? I would
> like /etc/fstab to automatically load the enclosure drive if it
> detects it was attached on boot up.

In this case you need some sort of auto mounting program. I cannot
comment on that since I don't use such a program. If you are you using
Gnome oder KDE, this is probably a complete non-issue.

J.
--
Quite often I wonder why I am not more famous and/or more wealthy.
[Agree]   [Disagree]